Thursday 12 May 2011

First Week on the Farm

Molweni, (Hello Together)
now that I am finally arrived at the organizations place I have a lot of things to write about.
Of course I had some problems with South African Airways in Johannesburg again. The plane was standing on the runway already when we had to push back again to the terminal. Technical problems. Again. But after an hour delay we finally flew to East London. There I was picked up by Robin from the organization and we drove to a little computer center still under construction. There I met Miriam, the other volunteer from IJGD. Later on I met Kyle, the technician on the farm with who I am living. A very nice guy and a good cook! :)
So then on Saturday I made my first experience with driving on the left side of the road. Weird! But driving here is so nice, as the streets mostly have two lines and are straight. And the landscape is just so Beautiful! So we drive to a school and set up a server for a Computer room. I had to realize that the organization works quite alot with linux, not so much my fovourite operating system... But I'll have to learn how to work with it.
On monday then the work started. I worked with Kyle, Nozuko and Ms. Booi in the workshop to set up 30 PCs for another school I went Tuesday where a computer room should be set up. The Computers are from Linux4Africa, a German organization located in Freiburg, who send containers of PCs to South Africa. Strange, repairing PCs from a Stuttgart Insurance company in South Africa :)
So as I got an insight of cloning hard drives and changing defect power supplies on Tuesday I went to Peddie to this school. We had a meeting with the principals and the parents to finally decide about setting up this computer room. It was really wondering me how big the issue for the Parents was to pay not even 3 Euro per month for computer lessons for their child. I just have the little picture in my mind how many money students in Germany spend at the 'Kiosk' per day for food, and compare it to a month computer education in Africa... But it was very nice, as after the meeting was finished, the schools choir came in and they sang some songs. Forget about DSDS and all the other 'talent' shows in Germany and elsewhere. It was just awesome!
So after this we drove to East London where Rommel and I went to the auction to look for a car. There was only one, so we will have a look some other day.After that Rommel had a meeting I was more interested in, so I went to the beach of East London. It was so nice! And the water was unexpected warm. :)
I could write so much more... :)
So yesterday and today I am at the Dimbaza Business Center, getting an insight of lessons and the administration. Its a nice place :)
But I still do not know where exactly I am going to work soon. Its just not clear :D
So right now I just enjoy travelling around, meeting new people and enjoy this great nature!
Everything here is very different from my experiences in Cape Town. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment