Monday 30 May 2011

A CAR!!!!

I just can write it now, because its weird that i had a car before i
had a simcard, but anyway, i have got my first own car! :) I bought it
at the auction on saturday. I actually wanted to go for an old vw fox,
but this turned out quite expensive. Actually all used cars here are
very very expensive! So now i have got an old mercedes E 300, my age.
So all of my pocketmoney will go into fuel for this car. Its about 13
liters on 100km... But its so much comfort, space, safety, security
system and so on... I just love this old car!
Then on monday i went to the traffic department of king williams town
to apply for a traffic register number. Because somebody told me it
would be possible to register it on my name. So i went to a white lady
of the department and she was very nice and very very helpful. She
told me everything what i needed to do and that i had to go to take
pictures for the application. This was what i forgot to bring from
germany. I have a certified copy of my graduation, which i.ll probably
never need, but no pictures of me...
So i went out to the street again with no orientation where i could
get pictures. Finally after asking around i arrived at a place where i
got them. Its a story for itself. Then i returned to the traffic
department again. The white lady i was with at before was then busy,
so i went to a black lady. She was so unfriendly! Seriously i was
thinking about saying something, but i was told to be very polite to
officials, otherwise i would not get far. So i was the politest way i
could act for. But she was still so unfriendly! It nearly escalated
when she was looking for my nationality under G for Germany. But there
was no germany. Then i advised her to look it up under D like
Deutschland. It really escalated then when i tried to explain her that
i am not from the Democratic Republic of Germany, that it doesn't
exists anymore since 20 years :D... But there was still no normal
germany in the computer! Finally i got the idea that we have to look
under F, because i am from the federal republic of germany... :D i
thought i would never get my stupid number. Because without my number
i couldn't get my papers for my car... And these are worthier than the
car itself, because without the papers i cant do anything!
But suddenly this whole bad situation started to change into a nice
conversation just with her question what i would do in south africa.
That was the question i waited for! I explained her of a voluntary
work at a school and teaching children computer literacy. Now she was
really interested in what i do her and how long i stay and so on...
Even the tellar next to her asked me out curiously! So the biggest
fear i had about my not so clear place of residence turned out to be
no problem at all. She didn't know the place, but i described it to
her and it was a very interesting conversation. She just typed into
her computer some place, because i actually cant live in a post box as
an adress and everything was fine. But then she stopped again and
raised her voice, how it could be i would have only one name. It
couldn't be, so she gave me the name kanyiso, which should mean light.
She said that just suits me. Maybe because of my big big hair :)
Then i finally got all my papers and could drive to east london again
to fetch the papers for my car...
On my way back then, i was testing out the speed of the car. Here all
freeways are limited to 120km/h. I was driving about 170. Still
accelerating, driving on the right lane (remember: driving on the left
side) as suddenly a white car appeared behind me with letters on the
front. I got really shocked because i was thinking i'd be the fastest
on the road and now my licence will be gone, as the capital of the
eastern cape, Bisho, is just next door with all its police schools,
and every tenth car on the road is a police car. So i changed to the
left lane, breaking. The car overtook me. Now i could see the letters.
It was not the police. It was just ANC advertising. The ANC is the
party of nelsson mandela. Because on wednesday there are regional
elections here, and by the way a public holiday :D so this time i was
lucky. I really need to pay attention with driving my car, as when it
drives, there,s no problem at all with it, its just so fast! :D
There're some other stories that happened this day, but it'll be too
much to tell... :D
So then i finally went to register for a simcard with the official
papers of my car and it was on problem at all. I experienced with a
german passport nothing is impossible and you earn so much respect
with being a german citizen. Other situations will follow. Sometimes i
even dont want to get this kind of respect just because of my
nationality.
------
So far...

No comments:

Post a Comment