Monday 29 August 2011

Orange trees!

Yes, the time has come. In one week the new volunteers will arrive and we are all looking forward for it. The people at the different places are all very excited, on the Farm, in Dimbaza and me in Somerset.
Otherwise the dayly life in my project is as usual. The children in the morning, the adults in the evening.
So I would like to write some more about the people I met in the past weeks.
Probably the most interesting one is Maria, a very old Lady with her origin in Austria. After World War II she and her husband (who met in Serbia, rebuilding the roads) went to Brasil where they stayed for about 25 years before they moved to South Africa where she lives now for 42 years. I dont know how to say, but it became hard for me to speak german again. So our conversations are mixed between german and english. She speaks so many languages, its impressive; but no french. The french guys are still the bad guys and she never wants to learn that language. Also, she doesnt speaks about the war. The memories are too bad she says. But there are so many other topics to talk about. When she speaks about her life in Sao Paulo and compares there the living with different skin colours to the life here in South Africa, it makes me curious about more in the world. Of course, her objectives are some decades ago, but I still like our conversations. She has so much to talk about, as she loves the purity of Canada and tells me about her wishes to travel, but she thinks she is too old now. Before she moved to Somerset East, she stayed in Vanderbijlpark, close to Johannesburg, where her husband worked in a steel manufactury. Then they moved with their children down here and bought a orange tree farm. So she showed me the many orange trees behind the house, where i just picked myself a orange off the tree. Delicious! I always wanted to do that! :)
________
So far

No comments:

Post a Comment